Ian Heathcoat-Amory, great grandson of John Heathcoat drew up a document on the 23rd of November 1912 conveying 5115 square yards of land free of charge to the Mayor, Alderman and burgess of the Borough of Tiverton. Upon this land the Old Heathcoat School was built. Construction of the building ran from 1912 to 1913 at a cost estimated to be between £5,000 to £7,000. The architect for the site was a Mr Ashford with the building work being undertaken by Messrs Pollard. The design of the building allowed up to 350 boys to be accommodated, however the average attendance was only 274. The opening day of the new school took place on Saturday 15th of February 1913, in what was described as fine weather. The old school was in use up until April 1994, and due to the re-organisation of educational provision in Tiverton the school was declared surplus to requirement, with capital receipt scheduled to help fund the construction of the new Heathcoat Primary School.
Acquisition of the School by the Trust With the old school lying empty, the future fate of the school was unsure. Possible proposals for the site at the time where to demolish the building and erect new housing on the site. However in the meantime, note had been taken by Mid Devon District Council of the community's interest in the site, and its potential to provide community facilities for the local area. To initiate discussions concerned with the future of the school a public meeting was called on the initiative of the Mid Devon District, Devon County Council member, Mrs Mary Turner, on the 5th of March 1996. The outcome of this public meeting was establishment of a steering group. This consisted of representatives from the local community and voluntary organisations, local church groups, local, district and County Council, the Mid Devon Enterprise Agency and the Community Council of Devon. The steering committee undertook extensive surveys and held a number of public meetings to devise the best use of space within the old school, how to accommodate the needs of the local community and to find out possible users and future potential of the school.
Our 10th Anniversary party was held in September 2007 and was opened by Mary Turner, one of the original committee members (see above!).